Saturday, April 18, 2009

Allez means GO!

Here is the machine that carries me through the many miles of pavement in Northern California, a 2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 56cm:

My revamped 2008 Specialized Allez Elite

The bike is a race geometry aluminum frame with a carbon fork/steerer and carbon seat-stays.  There are "Zertz inserts" in the seat-stays and fork to help dampen vibration, soften the ride, and increase comfort.  The components are a Shimano Tiagra/105 mix; the rear derailleur is where the 105 comes in (and I honestly think that Tiagra is far underrated).  The drive-train is composed of 50x34T chainrings and a SRAM 11-28t cassette, a perfect compact combination for the flats and the climbs.

This is a great road bike, but I also added my share of upgrades to personalize it.  I swapped the brake pads for Kool-Stop Salmons, an incredible and necessary change from the stock pads.  I now use Michelin Krylion Carbon tires, I find them to be a perfect balance of race-performance and durability.  These tires are wrapped around my new Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels for added stiffness and reduced weight.  Lastly, thanks to my lovely wife, I have Ultegra SPD-SL pedals.

2008 Specialized Allez Elite CompactThis is actually a big change from the stock appearance of the bike, as seen to the right in one of my first pictures of the bike, before I really knew what I was getting myself into.  The stem is pointed to the sky, the wheels are the stock Jalco/Specialized blend, and my pedal choice was odd with a platform + SPD hybrid that used mountain-biking cleats.  The bike rode VERY well like that, but hopefully my newer additions and changes will carry me farther and faster!

No comments:

Post a Comment