Sunday, April 12, 2009

Am I a roadie?

2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact rests...So what's a roadie?  Well, this is all still new to me, but I think a true roadie is beyond the recreational or enthusiast road cyclist.  A roadie is obsessed.  This cyclist often lives and breathes road cycling, fanatical about the small details that he/she swears makes a big difference, shaved legs and all.  Don't be surprised to see this character dressed in coordinating lycra, so serious it's funny, almost cartoon like (to the outsider), broke due to too many cycling-related expenses.

So, I am not obsessed, at least not that much.  I definitely will hesitate before heading out in 30 degree F weather, and I have no plans to shave my legs.  But I enjoy road cycling, and I want to go farther and faster.  After moving back to Northern California in Summer of 2008, and within my first month, bought my first road bike, the much praised and still underrated, Specialized Allez.

In an effort to meet other riders, and push me in my cycling fitness, I decided to join the race team for my local bike shop.  I'm nervous and excited.  While I am certainly more of an enthusiast than a roadie cyclist, I admire the passion and training of the roadie; I am a roadie in training, and for me, it's the journey that matters.  With this blog, I'll seek to document this adventure and learn with others about their own experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment