Monday, April 13, 2009

Early test of will

first frost by placid casual, protected by creative commons license
One of the reasons I enjoy cycling is that I can always push myself to improve: go faster, go farther, climb higher, and ultimately ride more.  To start preparing for regional races, I'm in the early stages of my initial training plan, and this involves riding in the morning before work.

I don't know about you, but riding in the morning is a major challenge for me, and a true test of my will to improve.  If I had to wake up by myself to ride, I think it'd be near impossible, but luckily I like waking up with my wife as her job starts much earlier than mine.  I wake up somewhere around 6am.  While she prepares, I have time to make coffee and start collecting my things for a ride.  My goal is to be out the door by 7am and then back home by 8:30am.

This morning, the temperature was in the 40s F when I left, another challenge when you're riding in material as thin as underwear, and the bed is cozy and warm.  Maybe eventually I'll accumulate some of the fancier jackets to keep warm.  Once I'm moving, the ride feels fine, and it's a good 1.5 hour ride; nevertheless, the cold bites at the beginning.  

Eventually, here in Northern California, the morning temperatures will be in the upper 50s F and the morning rides will be even easier, but for now, it's an early test to keep to a training plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment